Sunday 24 January 2010

Let them eat cake

I've been a baking this evening and thought I would share my little creation!  It's a caramel apple loaf and it's currently sat in my kitchen begging to be eaten... but I'm trying my hardest and will have to restain myself until tomorrow evening.  It was incredibly easy to make and i'm sure you can count the apples towards your five a day total!

175g of soft butter and some extra for greasing the loaf tin
175g of golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 x eggs
225g of self raising flour
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
4 heaped tablespoons of greek yogurt
2 x regular apples
50g walnuts
50g of soft toffee
2 tablespoons of double cream

  • Heat the oven to 160 degrees and grease a 2lb loaf tin then line it lengthways with greaseproof paper.
  • Beat together the butter, sugar and and vanilla extract, once mixed then add the eggs.
  • Add the flour, cinnamon and yogurt - I used the healthy eating yogurt!?  Token gesture to healthiness!
  • Add in the chopped apple and then stir in slowly.


  • Pour the mixture into the tin and then added some chopped walnuts across the top of the mixture.

  • Put it in the over on the middle shelve and leave it to bake for one hour to 1 hour 30.  Mine took 1 hour 10 mins.
  • Once the cake is cooled, make the toffee sauce by melting the toffees and cream in saucepan and then drizzle onto the cake adding extra walnuts.



Enjoy with a brew and a gossip with someone you love!
Here's to a good week! x
     

1 comment: