Unfortunately the outfit is a little bit to small these days, but I still managed to make the Welsh cakes and bring them into the office yesterday. Below is my Gran's receipe... I recommend trying them, they are extremely easy to make and are taste just perfect with a cup of tea. I make mine on a bake stone, but they can be made on frying pan, you just need to keep the heat very low.
Gran's Welsh Cakes
6oz Self Raising Flour
1/2 tsp of mixed spice
3oz Caster Sugar
Touch of milk
- Mix the butter into the flour to create a breadcrumbs like texture
- Add the mixed spice, sugar and currants
- Add the egg and mix together
- Add the milk so you get a dough mixture
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface so it is about 1cm thick
- Cut out with a cake cutter
- Grease the bakestone with butter and heat
- Add the welsh cakes and heat slowly until they are golden brown on each side
- Leave to cool and add a dusting of sugar to the cakes
- Make yourself a cup of tea and sit down to enjoy the fruits of your labour!